We shall strive to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
Jennifer Chiang, DDS, Inc. commits to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we shall adopt the following policies and practices:
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
- Avoid the use of toxic chemicals.
- Conserve energy, water, natural resources, and move away from fossil fuels where possible.
- Promote environmental education, outreach, and awareness to our staff.
Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We shall –
- Work tirelessly to reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling and composting capabilities to 50% diversion from the landfill.
- Strive to increase waste diversion by recycling all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging, and cans.
- Compost all food waste. * future goals when we have waste management for composting on site*
- Discourage the use of disposable products by using washable/reusable items.
- Reduce the waste generated by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, and furniture) to charitable organizations.
- Reuse envelopes and packaging.
- Promote the use of natural lighting and solar energy, where feasible.
- Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
- Conserve water with the installation of ultra-low flow and/or dual flush toilets, plant native drought-tolerant plants and use water-conserving irrigation systems.
- Collect Toothbrushes, and used oral hygiene containers for recycling with Terracycle.
We shall reduce the use of toxic materials to protect employee health and the environment. Specifically, we shall –
- Purchase low to non-toxic janitorial cleaning products (only those approved for use by the CA Green Business Program). Certified by Green Seal, UL Ecologo, EPA Safer Choice, or with a rating from the Environmental Working Group of an ‘A’ or ‘B.’
- Switch to recycled content products, materials, and supplies when available.
- Purchase Low VOC paints, markers, and non-toxic air fresheners.
- Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes) and prohibit purchasing materials that may lead to hazardous waste generation.
- Purchase rechargeable batteries and appliances only.
- Promote stormwater pollution prevention and source control.
Environmentally Preferable Purchasing
We shall purchase/use the following:
- Remanufactured and refilled toner cartridges.
- Office paper with 100% recycled content (30%+ post-consumer minimum), bathroom, and kitchen paper with at least 30% post-consumer recycled content as well.
- Products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene, or aerosol packaging).
- Recycled content-containing office furniture and supplies.
- Refillable bottles, canvas bags, and reusable to-go containers.
- LED lighting and Energy Star appliances and electronics.
- Water-efficient toilets (1.28 GPF), and faucet aerators .
- Request that vendors: ***PLEASE DO NOT USE PLASTIC SHIPPING PACKAGES/ENVELOPES*** ONLY PAPER/CARDBOARD***
Conserve Fossil Fuels
We shall conserve fossil fuels by:
- Encouraging the use of public transit.
- Promoting biking to work and carpooling.
We shall strive to build and remodel using LEED green building standards.
We shall educate employees on resource conservation and pollution prevention through –
- Hosting only zero-waste events i.e. ensuring that little to no waste is generated during work parties, picnics, and meetings.
- Training programs to educate employees on proper recycling & composting practices, resource conservation ideas, the importance of low-toxic purchasing, etc.
- Providing employee incentives for environmentally preferable practices such as recycling and biking to work.
- Informing staff of environmental issues in company emails, training materials, and staff meetings.
Through the course of our work, we shall endeavor to promote these policies to other companies, organizations, and individuals. We will support the work of local environmental organizations.